Saturday, May 21, 2011

The END of the world? Not here.

To: those who are expecting the last train to Clarksville ( my euphemism for The Rapture) today: maybe you will go somewhere..(?) I don't know, maybe. Theological discussion TBA.

However, my family and friends and I are looking forward to a beautiful day, a nice evening, and (my daughter) Debbie Culver's birthday tomorrow.  Therefore, any rapture we experience here at our house, will be from the taste of the pork roast cooked on the grill (tomorrow). Debbie and Brian (Collins) are visiting The Glen Curtis Museum in Hammondsport, NY before they come over to our house. Curtis is called "The Father of Naval Aviation," and the museum (and the site!) are really worth seeing.

Finally stopped at Matt and Andrea Reisen's yesterday! They run an incredible business called "Healing Spirits Herb Farm," and are good friends. Last weekend they celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary with a big party! Friends and relatives came from miles around (Nevada, Arizona, Pennsylvania, etc.) to help them have a great time! I was sick last weekend, so Dave and I missed the festivities. Many of the friends I've made at events they've held were at the party, too. (And Kerry, Judith, and others, I'm very sorry I missed you.) 

I used the word "finally," as I've promised one or the other of the Reisens that I'd be "stopping by" (they live about a mile from our house) for months! or maybe it's been a year? That's what's been happening to me. Not to say that I haven't been "busy," I have.  All of sudden, time has elapsed, and I've fallen into a "behavior rut." I don't like that happening in my life.  Some people say that it's "supposed to be" like that (monotonous?) as we get older. I don't think so. Certainly we can't run around like 25 year olds, but I feel that I still have enough energy most days for most things. My mind thinks I do, anyway! I have Ibuprofen in the cupboard these days for aches & pains, but that comes with the territory. When I do make an effort to change my direction, I can! Andrea, Matt and I caught up on all kinds of news, and it felt so good to be sitting in their house sipping hot chocolate. I PROMISE it will not be as long in between visits the next time I stop. Don't laugh.

Most everyone knows that I usually read 2 or 3 books at a time. I just finished the recent autobiography by Ashley Judd, "All That is Bitter and Sweet." I'd give it a 5 out of 5 stars, because I'm a fan of hers. The story she tells is not only her extreme dedication to fighting AIDS around the world, but also her recovery (and rehab) from Co-Dependence.  I'm especially happy to promote her book because I, too, went to rehab for Co-Dependence in 1986. After 6 years of sobriety and recovery, I was nearly suicidal. How can that be? Although our stories are different, the "disease" manifests similarly, and the feelings are the same. (As the 12 Step programs say, "Don't compare, RELATE.")  Her book is full of TRUTH and open-mindedness that I laughed and cried "relating!"  I saw her in "The YA YA Sisterhood," and thought to myself at that time, "A.J. knows EXACTLY what it's like to be around alcoholism, addiction or mental illness." She portrayed her character so well.

Another book I'm reading is by Alexandra Styron, daughter of author William Styron, called "Reading My Father."  Styron, along with being one of the great 20th Century authors, suffered from the disease of depression. Probably his most well-known work to the general public is "Sophie's Choice." This work is an autobiography/biography and we're given a look at Styron's life  by the family's youngest child. (Interestingly, so is Ashely Judd's)   Styron was an alcoholic and was hospitalized many times for mental illness. In 1985, he stopped 40 years of drinking, and went into a terrible depression. No one expected him to ever write again, but he did, about his illness: "Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness."  Haven't finished it, but am drawn to children who are now writing about growing up with alcoholic, addicted and mentally ill parents/relatives/friends.

News on Shatzie another time.
Bright blessings & Good vibes....
(I haven't figured out how to link the above books to my Amazon Associates yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Live in a beautiful area of NYS with husband Dave,GSD Shatzie,& Mimi and Mollie (cats).Avid reader,essay & commentary writer, and intuitive tarot "reader." Certified hypnotherapist; Reiki Master; Bachelors from American Institute of Holistic Theology (Metaphysical Sciences),Masters Equivalent from Womens Institute of Thealogy (Madison,WI); Integ. Energy Healer;published in SageWoman, Of a Like Mind, Crone Chronicles,Keltic Fringe, Alcoholism & Addiction magazine. 31+ years 12 Step recovery; Progressive philosophy; Ordained interfaith minister by Rev.Patricia Price, LilyDale, NY; 100% spiritual/0% religious (altho' tolerant of all).Am a fan of satire and irony; 3 daughters (1 in Rochester, NY and 2 in Florida.)Granddaughter in Palm Coast,FL. Firmly believe in "green." Fan of: Law & Order:SVU; Criminal Minds; The Good Wife;Blue Bloods; Lawrence O'Donnell and Rachel Maddow on MSNBC; college and pro Football